[AT] Baling Bermuda Hay

joehardy at epix.net joehardy at epix.net
Sun Jul 15 17:44:22 PDT 2007

Cecil; We don't have bermuda hay here in N.E. PA but I've been in your shoes a time or two with wet hay making weather. back in '72 we had serious flooding here and couldn't make first cutting until mid August! First & 2nd cutting was done at same time. 1st cutting was dead and so intermixed with 2nd growth that I had to cut my fields with a large rotary mower with the side shield off. This allowed the hay to be thrown into a loose windrow alongside the previous mowan round. A farmer up north mounted a spear in the center of his bale plunger which created a hole in the center of each bale. This allowed more air flow and decrease chance of molding or burning the barn down. I always stack my bales cut side up with a little space around each bale. The mow is less stable but helps preventing combustion... Good luck and be patient...Joe Hardisky Ryman Farm; Dallas, PA