[AT] Voyage of the boxes.

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Mon Jul 9 19:10:45 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Walker" <richardwalker at pobox.com>

>>Who remembers the long voyage of "The Boxes" that so many of us were
>>involved with.
>
> It was 1998, Alan.
>
> The Western box originated in my junk pile - an old toolbox off a
> small Cat.  Left all the rust alone, crudely painted "ATIS" in Cat
> yellow on the top, and hauled it up to the Tulare show in
> April.  Lots of ATIS guys attended that year - George Best, Don and
> Tricia Bowen, Grant Brians, Bob & Jean Lockwood, Lee Bowen, Ira
> Matheny and others I unfortunately can't remember now.  We all had a
> big barbecue dinner Saturday night put on by Jean and my wife
> Judy.  Some had brought photos to include in the box and we all
> signed the book.  From there I think George took the box back up to
> OR with him.  Then a few months later I somehow got my hands on it
> again.  Can't remember details, but it might have been at the Vista
> show or at some CA farm auction.  I drove it up to Tacoma, WA in
> June, where I handed it off to Ray (I'm having CRS on his last
> name).  From there I think Dean hauled it around to Brooks and later
> the Roy show.  Then Ron and Gayle hauled it across country to Portland.
>
> 1998 also was the year Don Bowen, George Best, his friend Bob the
> machinist, and I flew back to Portland, took in the show, and were
> there for the box presentation to Spencer.  We had a chance to
> finally meet in person some of the "Across Country" ATISers and had a
> great time.  Especially interesting flying home, since all of us
> shopped so heavily at the swap meet that we each had at least 50
> pounds of iron stuff secreted in our carry-on bags.  Sure made it an
> adventure trying to lift them into the overheads!  In fact Bill
> bought so much for his shop that he had to UPS some heavy boxes home.
>
> More details than anybody probably wants to know, but you tend to
> hang onto your pleasant memories from life . . . thanks, Spencer, for
> bringing us all together.
>

> Richard

    I remember it well. At least as well as I remember anything... I was
"newish"... I believe I found this list in 1996 and I believe that 1998 was
my first "Portland". Somehow I failed to sign the book but I recall the
presentation of the boxes. Boy, a lot of members have come and gone since
then. Quite a few members have visited my farm, some a few times. Alan
Nadeau (who's last name I always have to double check that I have spelled
right), Herb Metz (who I believe all would agree is one of those true
gentlemen even if he does doze off sitting at the campfire at Portland),
Greg Haas (did I spell that one right Greg?) from Bad Ax, Dot Parsons from
New Zealand. George Willer and the Dotson's, Larry Goss and others were here
for the second CUBFEST. Of course I must not leave out Spencer who has been
here and Diana and I had the pleasure of visiting his family at his place. I
have been to the homes of many of these other folks also. I apologize for
leaving a bunch of folks names out but what little mind I have left doesn't
remember what I had for supper tonight. I'll be sitting here at 11:00 PM and
recall more but will forget again by 11:05...  :-)   I have met more at
other shows but most at Portland IN. You mention Don Bowen who I met at
Portland and is to the best of my knowledge not on the list right now unless
he is lurking but he contributes regularly to an unrelated list that I own
on Yahoo. I also met you Richard, at Portland. Didn't Paul Bazzetta
(probably misspelled) make one of those boxes?
    I have a lot of good memories and made many good friends from this list.
Thanks Spencer...   :-)

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson