[AT] Spam> Re: Fuel prices and old tractor activities.

Alan Nadeau ajnadeau1 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 9 13:13:48 PDT 2007

I'm not sure I agree with what Ralph said.  Unless you're working an old
tractor several hours per day how much fuel do you really run through one in
the course of a year?  Gas and diesel both come out of the same hole in the
ground so until a true replacement for diesel can be grown we'll see the two
prices linked at the source.  The biggest economy of the diesel is the
inherent economy in the design of the engine.  Diesels will continue to be
the cheapest to run in the fuel cost category.  In an old gasser that may
see 50 hrs of run time a year, and a lot of that at light loadings, how much
does it cost for the fuel annually?  With the amount of money involved in
owning and maintaining these tractors I don't see a $100 a year in increased
fuel costs keeping them silenced.  I think a bigger factor will be the
expense of towing them to the playground with a suitable, gasoline engined,
truck.