[AT] Farmall M grille

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Sun Jul 8 12:26:49 PDT 2007

Patching the big hole at the bottom of the grille on my 1950 M finally made
it to the top of my to-do list, so I tried my hand at some sheet metal work.
The grille was missing the insert over where the cultivator lever attaches,
but the real problem was that the sheet metal below the insert opening had
been cut out somewhere along the way.  So I needed a patch before I could
put in a replacement insert.

Like a lot of jobs the hard part was actually getting around to starting.
Ace Hardware had some pieces of flat steel for a couple of bucks, so I got
one of them and cut it with a saber saw to about the right shape.  Bent it
by hand, ground down the edges on a bench grinder, then had an auto shop
weld it onto the grille for me.  Some bondo, primer, and paint, and I was
done.  It's not completely accurate but it looks a hundred times better than
before and I'm happy with it.

Pictures at http://www.vinsonfarm.net/suburban_M.html, at the bottom of the
page.

Dean Vinson