[AT] Brake band material

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jul 5 13:46:58 PDT 2007

You asked how, so here is what I did. Fair warning, I'm a machinist so it's
not quite as complicated or time consuming as it might seem.
 I wanted to use the same type of rivets as possible on my tractor so I
needed a counterbore. Some rivets are countersunk, and not all are at the
same angle. Anway I made a counterbore tool out of a drill bit using a
pedestal grinder, lathe and dremel tool. I roughed the end of the tool to
serve as the pilot on the pedestal grinder. Then I put it in the lathe and
clamped my dremel with a cut off wheel in the tool post. I turned the lathe
and the dremel on and started grinding. Instead of putting any relief angle
on the tool I left the cutting edge straight--since I would be doing this in
the drill press I didn't want it to grab. I set up two plates on the drill
press. The bottom one had a hole about the size of the pilot. The top plate
was made larger to clear the tool. I set a gap between the 2 plates about
.010" thicker than the material so I could slide it thru. I cut the drill
press off between holes so I could use the pilot to line up the lining.
Worked great--hole depth didn't vary .005". If I'd have thought about it
earlier in the week I would have made the tool at work--it would have been
faster but not near as much fun!

Oh yeah, I clamped the lining to the bands and drilled all the holes first
with a hand drill.

John