[AT] OT: Gas story

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Tue Jul 3 21:31:43 PDT 2007

I bought an 89 chevy 1/2 ton 2wd pickup the month after I retired.  It
was an old state park ranger pickup and had about 140,000 miles on it.
It also had a new starter,alternator, and completely new air conditioner
system.  It also had one white fender and the rest of the truck was
forest green.  After driving it a few days, I started checking the
mileage and the engine and drive train.  It has the 305 v-8, with a 3.73
rear end and overdrive automatic.  Everything else is just a work
truck.  It gets 18mpg no matter whether I am pulling a trailer or not.
My other 89 chevy is a 3/4 4wd and has a 350.  I had to put a bed cover
on it to get 14.5 mpg...

I attribute part of the lower mileage on the 4wd to the drag on the
front axles.  can't get lockout hubs on the lighter duty trucks
anymore....   I painted the fender with a can of spray paint from Dollar
General stores, put a tie rod end and pitman arm and one U-joint in it
and drive it everywhere...  I was going to sell it, but for $1600
including parts It can't be beat. I just wish it was a 3/4 ton so I
could use the 16 inch tires that are on everything else....  I pull the
5000 Ford with a brush hog around with it and leave the 2000 one ton 454
at home....  It gets 9mpg loaded or unloaded....

I have two 95 Ford power stroke diesels with a crewcab.  The one with a
3.73 rear end gets 16 to 28 on the road unloaded with a trailer.  With a
trailer and load, it gets about 11 mpg.  The one with a 4.10 rear end
gets 9mpg loaded or unloaded.  With fuel prices, I do a little
calculating before hooking up now....  Guess we should have done that
before.  Also try to make every trip to town count too....

Cecil in OKla