[AT] OT: Gas story

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon Jul 2 14:35:35 PDT 2007

Right on, Ken.  My drinking buddy (coffee at McDonald's with a PhD in
Chemistry) and I have been laughing about this thread for the last week.
You're right. A 1% difference in volume is about the most you could expect
under the most adverse circumstances. But even those circumstances are not
likely to occur.  If it was, those semi's full of gasoline would be
exploding all over the place prior to delivery to the service stations
(vapor pressure and all that jazz).

As for the difference in mileage from Flying J, you're going to find more
differences in fuel consumption from the differences in additives than
anything that is caused by a temperature change.  As my drinking buddy says,
"When you add an alcohol to gasoline (regardless of the source) your gas
mileage is going to go down because there are fewer BTU's per gallon."

Now the question is: Do you trust a drinking buddy?  :-)

FWIW, I got 18.9 MPG last week on a two-day trip across country in my Jeep
while towing a loaded trailer at turnpike speeds.  I used Flying J unleaded
regular all the way.  I don't feel like I have anything to complain about
with that record.

Larry