[AT] OT: Gas story

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 13:38:24 PDT 2007

The numbers I'm hearing here in AZ are somewhere around 1% of the
volume of the fuel (I think 231 versus 234 cubic inches once the
temperature has been normalized). Hard to believe anyone has fuel
economy plotted that accurately on a commuter vehicle, but with $3
fuel that's 3 cents a gallon or so. Probably enough that the station
makes a few cents per gallon and the unsuspecting customers don't
notice it. Funny how there are stations in Canada that have it
corrected for temperature where it is colder than the calibration
standard but there aren't any of those here where the temperature
might be warmer.

There's been several articles locally about this and the AZ
legislature was considering doing something about this recently.
Wouldn't be surprised if the lobbyists caught wind of it and made
their pitch; I don't think anything is happening on it now.

Ken in AZ