[AT] Bolt Grades

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Mon Jul 2 12:11:10 PDT 2007

Joe,

Just out of curiosity I checked with the local industrial bolt house that I
often buy from  -

I asked them if they had any 5/8 and/or 3/4 Grade 8 carriage bolts sitting
on their shelf right now and back came the answer "yes" in a couple of
different lengths.  Of course I didn't know the size you're looking for so I
didn't ask further.  I've not bought Grade 8 carriage bolts from them but I
have bought both Grade 9 (yes Grade 9 not Grade 8) hex and square head bolts
from them several times.  However, the couple of times they had to order
them I did have to take the whole box.

I understand your' wanting to keep the bed of your' pickup smooth with no
obstructions but, as Paul has already suggested, what if you need to get
those carriage bolts out later on when they've had time to corrode?  The big
head on the Grade 9, while not meeting your' "no obstruction" criteria would
be welcome if bolt removal ever became necessary - just my opinion.

Dudley
Snohomish, Washington