[AT] Bad tractor day :(

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Sun Jul 1 22:14:06 PDT 2007

Saturday I attended the tractor show at a town located about 20 minutes
drive from here - Port Hope.
It's held on the grounds of the school, which has a large amount of free
area.  However, the school itself only graduates about 14 students a year
now.  I've been attending for 20 years or so, and it has always been
attended by several thousand people.  Initially it featured about 300
tractors and about 150 "hit & miss" engines, as well as various
lumber-sawing demonstrations, shingle mill, and threshing machines.  For
$1.50 you could buy a shingle which they branded with the name of the show
and the date.  They also had 1 or 2 rows of flea market and very good meals
were available (for fundraising).

About 5 years ago, the tractor part of the show was relegated to the "back
40."  The front was then used for approx. 10 rows of flea market and a
large part of the site was used for parking for travel trailers
(RVs).  Three years ago the tractor-pulling track, which had been located
east of the school building,  was moved south of the "back 40" abour 500
feet from the flea market area.

This year I noticed they had about 20 semitrucks with aluminum dump
trailers and pups parked along the whole length of the pulling track
between the tractor display and the pullers.  In between the trucks were
wood pallets or plastic fence, blocking the area between the trucks.  This
all seemed strange and I couldn't figure it out, so I asked about it.  I
was told that the people from the flea market area had complained about the
noise from the tractor area and the pulling area and demanded that it be
stopped, so the semis were used to block the sound.  I have to wonder how
many complaints were issued that night when the 200+ travel trailers parked
in the area all started their generators so they could watch TV and run
their air conditioners.

Sadly, I counted only about 100 tractors there, and only 6 "hit & miss"
engines, of which only two were run.  The shingle mill was there, but had
only been run briefly and they were not branding as very few of the people
attending were venturing out to the "back 40".  Also gone were the various
other demonstrations.  I think the sawmill was there but was located a
couple hundred feet past the last of the trailers in an area so
inaccessible that no one was going back there to watch.  The tractors are
what originally made the whole show and brought it up to what it is
now.  Two thirds of last year's tractor area is now reserved for travel
trailers.  I do not know what group is running this show, but obviously
they have forgotten what made the show what it is today and care little
about the tractors any more.  I am a big fan of the saying, "Never say
never.", but at this time I cannot see wasting my time going there next
year, seeing how little is left of the tractor end of the show.  In my
opinion, a sad commentary on the times we are living in.

Greg Hass
Bad Axe, MI