[AT] Briggs filter substitute.

Mike msm10301 at juno.com
Thu Jan 25 07:20:06 PST 2007

I've used the NAPA Gold substitute in the past with very good success
($6-$7). You may also want to check with your local John Deere dealer
that caters to the lawn cutting industry (Weingartz in my area). I
was surprised when I could buy them there all day long for about $5.
One other thing to keep in mind, some applications require a very
short filter in order to fit, my Cub Cadet 1641 was one. Even though
the threads and base matched up, if the filter was too tall it
wouldn't fit.

Mike

-- "Francis Robinson" <robinson at svs.net> wrote:
	I was asked off list if I had settled on a part number for a
cheaper oil
filter to use in place of the $10 to $11 Briggs & Stratton oil
filters used
on the larger Briggs engines. I had not but I did a little searching
this
morning (spring is coming) and found several numbers which can be
used to
cross reference to your favorite brand. Keep in mind that I have not
bought
and tried any of these but I feel fairly comfortable with these
numbers
since I found them in so many different places.
	They are Wix 57035 Napa (Wix) 7035, Carquest 85056, and Fram
Ph2874
	Note: as I searched I found very few that had anything good
to say about
Fram. The only exception was on the Fram website...   ;-)   There was
a good
bit of good said about Purolator but I didn't include their filter
number
here since I found some conflict of numbers. I'm sure you can easily
find a
cross reference to a good Purolator number in the stores book.
	The one good thing you can say about Fram is that they are
listed in
everybody's cross-reference charts.   ;-)   If you have their number
you can
then find about any other brand's number.

--
"farmer"
Proud owner of several cordless hatchets and a large collection of

"Axe me no questions and I'll tell you no lies"

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA
robinson at svs.net

1/24/2007