[Farmall] O-12 Progress

Karl Olmstead olmstead at ridgenet.net
Wed Jan 31 07:20:54 PST 2007

I did burn a little wood to heat the shop up in the mornings, John, but we
had T-shirt weather by lunch time last weekend.

The 'real' projects include setting up twelve 5-shelf shelving units in my
storage building and sorting all my tractor parts onto them.  I bought a
trailer load of parts and two complete F-12s last month, and needed to get
my parts collection organized.  That's pretty well done now, so I'll go back
to my main project, which is another '36 O-12 that I've been working on for
over a year.  That's the one that I've been going through the front end on,
boring out worn bearing surfaces, pressing in new bronze bushings, and
making new pins.  The whole front end has been renewed, except for tie rod
connections on the steering knuckles.  I need to build a fixture to hold
them perpendicular to the mill table so that I can accurately bore and bush
the connections.  I also need to track down new wheel bearings and seals.

Then I can decide what to do with the back half of the tractor.  At a
minimum, it'll need new seals and some brake work.  The engine, which used
to run, is on my stand right now.  I need to open it up and look for
something that is clanking when I turn it.

On a slightly different topic, does anyone have any information that would
indicate that early O-12s were painted red instead of gray?  I have a friend
with a low-numbered O-12 who says that they started out red.  Every one I've
examined has gray under the red....  and I've looked at quite a few!

-Karl