[AT] Back on farm equipment! I need help finding... for myfarmingoperation

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Tue Jan 30 09:11:17 PST 2007

IMHO, One of the best Indiana-based packers has always been Sechler's up at
St. Joe.  With the high cost of transportation today, our local grocers are
having trouble justifying keeping their excellent pickles on their shelves,
but we have a local meat market that still stocks them so I can "relish" in
their flavor as I did when I was a kid in Fort Wayne.

The sandy loam and black dirt left over from the time when the Little Wabash
river was a perpetual swamp, were ideal for growing underground crops.  The
clay content of the soil was so low that they were always easy to harvest.
All the harvesting was done by hand by migrant workers.  Today, the farms
where that operation was based are buried under one of the nation's largest
landfills or have been excavated for the blue-white limestone down below.

Larry