[AT] Hole in exhaust manifold....

John Kennedy ihctractor at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 30 09:17:28 PST 2007

  Elements	 Symbol 	Melting Point Fahrenheit
    Aluminum	Al	    -------                   1218
    Brass (85 Cu 15 Zn)	Cu+Zn	------  	1652-1724
    Bronze (90 Cu 10 Sn)Cu+Sn	 -------      1562-832
    Cast Iron	C+Si+Mn+Fe	-------  	  2300
    Carbon	C	---------------                 6512
    Chromium	Cr	-----------                   3034
    Copper	Cu	  --------                     1981
    Gold	Au	----------------                1946
    Hydrogen	H	---------                    -434.2

     Inconel	Ni+Cr+Fe    -----------            2540
    Iron	Fe	 ----------------               2786
    Lead	Pb	                               621
    Magnesium	Mg	                          1240
    Manganese	Mn	 ------------------       2300
    Monel	Ni+Cu+Si    ------------           2400
    Nickel	Ni	    ----------                  2646
    Phosphorous	P	---------                  111
    Silicon	Si	     ---------                   2588
    Silver	Ag         --------------              1762
    Stainless Steel	Cr+Ni+Mn+C --------   2550
    Steel-High Carbon	Cr+Ni+Mn+C  -----  2500
    Medium Carbon	Cr+Ni+Mn+C  ----   2600
    Low Carbon	Cr+Ni+Mn+C  -------------    2700
    Tin	Sn    -----------------------                  450
    Titanium	Ti   -------------                   3263

    Tungsten	W           --------------        5432
    Zinc	Zn              ----------------      786

© 2004 Muggy Weld
The content of this website is copyrighted. No usage of ANY content of this
website without written consent of MuggyWeld.com.

John k. (Not Walt)

>From: "George Willer" <gwill at gwill.net>
>To: "'Antique tractor email discussion group'"
><at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
>Subject: RE: [AT] Hole in exhaust manifold....
>Date: Mon, 29 Jan:29:31 -0500
>
>Al,
>
>Walt should study more before he offers advice, we know he hasn't brazed a
>manifold.  Visible red shows up just a little over 900 F.  An engine with
>aluminum pistons would melt down long before the manifold got to 2000 even
>with the cooling effect of the incoming charge.
>
>Copper/zinc (brass) melts at different points depending on the alloy.  The
>range is from 1300 F to nearly 2000 F. The cast iron itself would melt at
>around 2300 F.
>
>Brazing manifolds isn't for the faint of heart... differential cooling
>causes a lot of cracking... It's very difficult to do.  Ask me how I know.
>
>George Willer

Clients | Testimonials | Links | Interesting Information