[AT] Hole in exhaust manifold....

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Tue Jan 30 05:30:15 PST 2007

	Does anyone else remember those old Nash engines where the exhaust manifold
was just a piece of steel tube that looked about like a piece of exhaust
pipe? I only was around one of them and the memory is a little fuzzy. I
recall that it was just clamped along the side of the engine over the
exhaust ports and of course it had matching holes in the back of the pipe
manifold. I don't recall if the back of the manifold pipe had flats around
the holes or if the port faces were ground concave. I don't know if I am
remembering the end cap right but I have an image of a cap about like a
skirted freeze plug (as opposed to a Hubbard plug type). Maybe not. This was
on a 1951 Nash Statesman that a good friend bought about 1964. It was a
large car with a mile of foot room in the back seat and a pair of little
"jump seats" behind the front seat. It was finished out like a luxury car
with a very nice interior. It had a surprisingly little engine, maybe even a
4 cylinder? It was an extremely smooth runner and a very quiet car for the
year.
	Did Nash make their own engines? Were any ever used in tractors?

--
"farmer"
Proud owner of several cordless hatchets and a large collection of

"Axe me no questions and I'll tell you no lies"

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA
robinson at svs.net