[AT] If a manifold

Kevin ironman1962 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 29 19:04:42 PST 2007

we know he hasn't brazed a
manifold.  Visible red shows up just a little over 900 F.  An engine with
------------------------------------
Now i use a combine manifold off a (715/705 dont rember was a 301 engine that went on freinds pulling 460)
 on our Farmall M, and one of the end ears were broke but the peice was still there. So i got the big idea that i could save $$$ by brazing it.  I used lots of Borax mule powder a vice and propane scrappers cutting torch, bronze rod 3/16"
Well before I could bolt it on it had to visit the machine shop to cut it true again ( wish i new abt that goop or glue)
$80 dollars and i could bolt it on.
I dont see why anyone thats ever done much of anything couldnt braze a manifold or any iron object.
Now one that will really make you literaly make ya pull your hair is a skillet
Once in awhile i get to an auction, and they was a Wagner Sydney, Ohio square skillet in a box of smuge pots that i won bid on.
I throw the skillets in a hot fire to clean out whatever thr PO had used it for.
after abt 15 minutes that thing poped like a gunshot. It was the skillet poped a crack across the middle 3/4 way and open crack 1/2 inch. If you think fixing a manifold is hard for whatever reason, you need to try a skillet. thinking about that skillet, im gonna get out a dozen eggs and scramble them up in a minute throw in about 1/2 # of cheese and fry up a couple pounds of jawmeat, pan of biscuits. and a quart of elderberry jelly some goat milk butter. Gettin low on cholestrol :-)
A 3 1/2hp Briggs lawnmower engine will approach 1700f  if ya take off the muffler, unhitch the governor fillit with gas and start it up let it run wide open for 15 minutes if its still running. Theres a good chance it may even be hotter than 1700. and you should know  about aluminum  after pouring those toy flywheels, I can melt about 1/2 gallon of aluminum at a time in 10-15 minutes with a little coal an a vacume cleaner.
So the Briggs has alumnium alloy piston aluminum block, head so why dont it melt the head ? If i had a theromometer that register 2000+ i would do it now just to see. IF  IF IF>> Is spencer let Walt back on the list ?
I seen where someone was talking about him
Walt was one that told me not to throw the combine manifold away, to fix it.
He was right it worked, just no way around the machine shop.
So I kinda bought it anyways in the long run.
I am mighty proud you can braze cast by yourself.
Dont let others implicate that you
cant do nothing, just do it.
a broken ear to fix is easy, a crystlized rusted through, casting is nothing left to braze to. Gotta glue and bake and hope an pray that it wont burn that glue up, i seen some type material that is supposed to take the heat and turn like toilet bowl material when baked. an may hold if it werent right in front of one of the ex ports. At 2000 rpm there is a lot of pressure mixed in the heat even on a 123
I gotta get them egg and bacon frying
Wish yall the best with the manifold !

Ironman
Kevin Mosier