[AT] Hole in exhaust manifold....

Jim & Lyn Evans jevans at evanstoys.com
Mon Jan 29 18:22:32 PST 2007

Since not all of us own stuff that has parts readily available, I think we
are all looking for advise on how to repair broken items.  Reading about
everyone's method of repairing manifolds is a lot more informative than
someone repeating over and over to buy a new one.  Anyone can pick up a
catalog and credit card and order a new one. The problem is that not all
manifolds are easy or cheap to replace.  I have one tractor with a manifold
that will cost me over $500 to replace with a new one.  Used ones are not
available.  The new one will also take over 6 months to get.  Guess what it
costs if you have to make your own patterns to make a new manifold.  On one
of my tractors, I formed a piece of 16 or 18 gauge sheet metal to match the
shape of the manifold and brazed it in place.  It has been there for over
two years now without problems.   The original cast manifold lasted 70 years
of hard use before breaking.  I bet my patch lasts at least 10 years of
occasional use.