[Ford-ferguson] 601 running bad

Chris Britton c.britton at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jan 28 17:11:42 PST 2007

Quit blindly buying ignition parts without doing some investigation first.
When she dies, pull the secondary wire from the distrb cap and hold near the
block and crank over.  Got big blue spark?  If so quit replacing the coil
and points...

If no spark, the first thing i'd check is the ignition switch... Jumper a
wire right fromt he battery to the coil primary input terminal.

Also.. I doubt you will find a modern ignition coil that actually
incorporates a seperate restive element, outside of it's primary winding.
instead, i think you will find that most coils primary resistance is just
determined by wire gauge and length.

A NAPA IC14SB is a 'generic' 15$ 12v coil.. no resistor needed ( and no
internal resistor.. it's primary is simply enough resistance as it is
wound.. )

Soundguy