[AT] Farmer's sig line

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Fri Jan 26 18:19:24 PST 2007

On Friday 26 January 2007 17:19, Francis Robinson wrote:
> 	That sig line was generated as part of my ongoing drive to annoy the
> various woodworkers on several woodworking lists that think that they must
> spend an hour on each little setup lining everything up with a
> micrometer... I speak often of how I consider a hatchet to be a precision
> woodworking tool.   ;-)    ;-)    I have no problem with them working that
> way but several feel the need to tell all of the new guys that they are
> stupid if they don't do the same things and some even like to make
> statements that imply that guys who don't shouldn't be allowed to do
> woodworking. The thing is I know the truth..

You missed one great truth: wood is suitable for precise work.    In normal
room environments wood will expand and contract greatly.

I too know people who carefully measure wood with a micrometer.    Someday I'm
going to go back to one of their projects with a micrometer and show them
just how much it moved, without any noticeable change.

Wood should never be measured to less than 1/16th inch.   Iron is measured to
1/1000th of an inch.    If you go for more than this you need to account for
how your part will change as conditions change.

Even then you need to be careful.  There is a measureable different in the
length of a 747 between hot an cold days. (in the millimeter range)
Something Boeing takes into consideration.   (mostly by making things fit
loose enough that they can move)