[AT] Restore is a Case

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jan 25 19:07:45 PST 2007

I've got the smaller version of that tractor--mine is a 12-20. Fun machine
and draws some onlookers.
Here are some highlights about mine.
They didn't use grease fittings but grease cups instead. No oil pan--there
is a finned plate that bolts to the bottom of the crankcase.  No frame, just
one big casting. Come to think of it I believe the crankshaft lays in the
casting. Shaft driven fan. Have to remove the valve cover to oil the
valves--daily. Differential lock (yes it has one) was engaged by pulling a
cap off one of the rear wheels and sticking a bolt in a hole/slot. Hand
clutch. One of the most complicated amnifold systems I've ever layed eyes
on. Mine is in bad need of a new manifold--they aint' cheap!! Oh, yeah, that
manifold in front of your face will keep you real warm this time of year.
And the lack of a brake other than on the belt pulley makes shifting gears
on a hillside an adventure.

We've got a McCormick-Deering 10-20 about the same vintage---it is far more
advanced than the Case. Definetly wouldn't mind having another one in the
set.

John Hall