[AT] Briggs filter substitute.

Brad Gunnells brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu
Thu Jan 25 08:26:31 PST 2007

Farmer points out some good information here. You'll also notice the
NAPA and WIX numbers are generally the same. The leading number on
the WIX must indicate type (5 being oil etc.)?

The WIX web site is very good. http://www.wixfilters.com

Here you can cross reference other brands or search by type. One very
handy thing is that you can get the most common application and full
product spec. This should be considered when you look put a different
filter type on an engine. I heard GM changed to a anti-drain back
type because of concerns of engine knock on start up. (Not sure how
factual that is but used as an example) It will show the gasket size,
micro rating, burst pressure, media type, and many other details you
may or may not need to know.

Just my .02 but I find the site useful.

Brad

On Jan 25, 2007, at 8:55 AM, william.neff.powell at comcast.net wrote:

> That's good info.
>
> Yes, the briggs filters are expensive...
>
> I found that my Fram PH3953A filter  (for my car) fit on my 18hp
> briggs, and I just used it.... Not very scientific but it has been
> running for about 3 years on 3 different 3593a filters.... Never
> felt right about the filter though...
>
> Never thought to cross reference it, will use your numbers now....
> Thanks.
>

> Regards,
>
> Will

> From: "Francis Robinson" <robinson at svs.net>
>> -snip-
>> 	They are Wix 57035 Napa (Wix) 7035, Carquest 85056, and Fram Ph2874
>> 	Note: as I searched I found very few that had anything good to
>> say about
>> Fram. -snip-
>> Francis Robinson
>> Central Indiana, USA
>> robinson at svs.net

Brad Gunnells                         |                    #
University of Iowa                    |                    ||
Information Technology Services       |       I_    ___ at ___||_____
Campus Services/ITC Technical Support |   |__ I  \ |Allis Chalmers|
Iowa City IA 52242                    |   ___\___  \ \          WC|
(319)335-5524   FAX (319)335-5505     |   * * *___|__\__________   -|
mailto:brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu        |  *     *----------------\___|
                                       | *   @   *                oo
Interested in almost anything         |  *     *                o  o
besides work!  ;^)                    |   * * *                  oo

     Web Space:  http://www.southslope.net/~gunnells/