[AT] Fw: Ih 504 2nd try??

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Jan 24 17:59:32 PST 2007

Mike Sloane wrote:
> I would say that you are pretty much the limits of a 1700 or 2000 series
> IH loader, but you might be having some problems due to a worn pump. You
> probably need to follow the service manual procedures for checking the
> hydraulic pressure on the system. If you are getting full pressure out
> of the pump, then you need to look to worn valves that are letting fluid
> bypass from the pressure line to the return (does it "hiss" when you try
> to lift?). You could also have a weak pressure relief valve, but you
> need to be careful when messing around with that - it is there for a
> reason!

Different front end loaders will affect hydraulic performance too. Some
have more "leverage" than others but the biggest difference is the size
of the lift cylinders. A small bore cylinder will lift faster but won't
have as much lifting power. Big bore cylinders take more oil, lift
slower, but should lift a heavier load. My old Massey Super 90 seems to
have pretty good lifting power on the loader with its big lift cylinders
but its slow. Haven't found much that it won't lift though.

Ralph in Sask.