[Farmall] F20 questions

James Moran jrmoraninc at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 22 05:29:20 PST 2007

Carl-
 I have no idea as to your skill level when it comes to things  mechanical (I know that my own would rank me in the bottom 10% of the  List Membership).  I, too, had and still have some "relics"  sitting about.  Anything that has been sitting around as you  described is going to be a "chore" to say the least.  The engines  are almost certainly seized and the mice have probably housing their  10,000th generation.  I know that is the case with the Farmalls  that have "fallen" to me.  While I would love to have the time and  talents to make 'em run once more, I know that is not in the cards for  me, personally.  In your message you stressed your "overload" and  being "behind schedule".
 I guess what I am trying to express is, if  that is your situation and will continue to be thus for the foreseeable  future, these old soldiers would probably end up sitting in the same  condition in YOUR yard as opposed to HIS yard.
 Don't get me  wrong...I am not trying to be a defeatist or a "wet blanket".  If  your desire is to have a tractor to do actual "work", or just something  that is fun to drive about and "tinker", I would suggest that you buy  something that is not in the sad state of those at which you have been  looking.  For example, an old fellow down the road from me has  (sheltered always and pristine) a beautiful Cub with full hydraulics  and a (never seems to have been used) front blade.  He wants $2000  for it.  In general, this is a bit pricey for such a unit, but it  is practically new with very, very few hours on it.  I would buy  it just to have it but I don't "need it" (I know...what has "need" got  to do with it ;-) and I really don't have room for it.  I don't  know where you are located but I betcha that there is something along  these lines around you.
 My two cents and, probably, not even worth  that.  Best of luck whatever you decide and, sure, why not help  this neighbor with his tasks...maybe that can become the basis of a  mutually beneficial friendship.
  Jim Moran

szabelsk at gdls.com wrote:  That certainly would work for me. I would imagine that there'd also be a
lot more people collecting tractors!
One thing that should be realized is that there a degree of satisfaction
from bringing something old back to life. You can't put a value on that
and it can't be rolled into the cost in any way.

Right now I'm watching two old tractors that have been parked in the side
yard of an old farm for maybe the last 50-60 years. Both are sunk into the
ground along with everything else that's there. The new owner is starting
to clean up the place, tearing down the barns that are already almost on
the ground. When he starts to get around to cleaning up the yard and
trying to get rid of all the equipment, I plan to see if he needs any help
getting them dug out. I'm figuring by the time he gets the barns cleaned
up he might be somewhat tired of the task and might be willing to get rid
of the "junk" for nothing, or at least pretty cheap. I'll be glad to give
him a hand if we can make some kind of a deal. Never stopped in to see
exactly what the tractors are, but from the road they look in pretty rough
shape, having apparently sat where they were parked when last used.

I'd offer to give him a hand with the barns if we could strike a deal, but
right now I'm overloaded, behind schedule, and don't have any free time.

Carl Szabelski

soffiler at ct.metrocast.net
Sent by: farmall-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com
01/19/2007 11:12 AM
Please respond to
Farmall/IHC mailing list

Farmall/IHC mailing list
cc

Subject
Re: [Farmall] F20 questions

----- Original Message Follows -----
From: szabelsk at gdls.com

>...I always try to get things for as cheap as possible,
>realizing I've got to  spend more getting it fixed up.
>Figure out what it would take to get it  back into the
>condition you want it to be (money and labor), subtract
>that  from what you think it would be worth when you're
>done, and that should be  what you should offer...

Many interesting thoughts you posted there, Carl, (trimmed
for brevity) but I've got to say I am amused by the above.
I submit that anyone following your advice would end up
asking for a couple thousand dollars from the seller!

Steve O.

This  is an e-mail from General Dynamics Land Systems. It is for the intended  recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged information.  No one else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in reliance on  it or its attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, please  return this message to the sender and delete the message and any  attachments from your computer. Your cooperation is appreciated.