[AT] Even better auction

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Jan 19 09:54:28 PST 2007

rasmith4 at juno.com wrote:
> Ralph
>
> Thanks for the auction links.  It is nice to sit here and dream on a cold snowy day.  Too bad SK is so far from NY.
> I see a couple of "swath rollers".  What do you use that for?  I mean besides the obvious "to roll the swath with".

Richard, that sale is a very interesting one to me although I don't know
if its within my usual range, must be a hundred miles or so south of me.
Plus it can be a busy time of year just in the preparation for seeding
crops. Mid April weather is always a gamble. We can get anything from
beautiful warm sunny days to downright winter blizzards.
Swath rollers, you are right about what they are used for. Quite
literally they are pulled behind the swather when we cut canola. They
push down and help anchor the swath in the stubble. The reason? If we
get the right (strong winds) conditions we can lose a lot canola when
the wind starts blowing the swath around. If its packed down into the
stubble by the roller it is a bit safer although I have seen rare
occasions when even rolled swath will be flipped over by the winds.
No such weather today in Sask. Its quiet, sunny and while not exactly
warm, 0F degrees is tolerable. And looking out the window first thing
this morning I was reminded of one of my Dad's old expressions,
"Fog in the hollow means a fine day to follow".

Ralph in Sask.