[Farmall] Any advice on THIS problem (Off Topic...sorry)

Frank DeWitt Frank at lbpinc.com
Wed Jan 17 07:03:43 PST 2007

How can one "minimize" the obvious disadvantages if, in fact, he is
in  the Asperger's category.  Must he anticipate a lifetime
of  medication?  If he does not have the "brakes" that most of
us  posess, how will he be able to function safely as an adult?
   JM

Frank DeWitt
<<http://www.antique-tractor.com/mailman/listinfo/farmall>Frank at lbpinc.com>

I don't know the boy, and I don't know medicine. I do know that being
a bit different is a MUCH bigger problem in a public school then it
is in life.  I have a nephew with Asperger's and when he was
diagnosed my brother told me about it.  We both agreed that I had it
as well but I have never been formally diagnosed or treated. As a
person who probably has this syndrome, a parent, and a veteran of 14
years on a private school board I can tell you that kids in school
require absolute conformity. violators will be punished. also the
schools have one set way of teaching (sit in a group and look and
listen)  If you can not or will not sit still, or you can not or will
not learn this way you are in big trouble.  The schools will do what
it takes to get the kid to sit still and be quiet.  Learning is
optional.  The other kids will never let up.

In real life, it is much easier, Adults require less conformity. and
we all can find a place where we fit.  I have found a good job (My
own business) and a great Church and a small number of close
friends.  and no medication for this syndrome, ever.

Regarding your question.  I like the suggestion some one made about
having him use a garden tractor and a trailer.  Make it clear that he
can move up by proving him self,  also that he can delay moving up.
(making it clear that it isn't punishment, he just has to prove him
self)  You are not his parent.  If I could talk to his parents, I
would plead with them to get him out of school.

The biggest helps to me in the order they happened were;

1  Realizing there were others like me who were great people. (The
first one I discovered on my own was Thomas Edison)
2. Getting out of school and away from the pressure to conform when I
couldn't conform.
3. Finding Jesus Christ.  That gave me unconditional acceptance, and
a set of rules that made sense to me and always worked.

My brother who doesn't know Christ told me the time that my symptoms
greatly reduced and asked me how I did it. I explained that I hadn't
done any thing at that time except, accept Jesus.

Thank you for taking an interest in him.

Frank

HONOR GOD
SERVE PEOPLE
DEVELOP EXCELLENCE
GROW PROFITABLE
FOLLOWING BIBLICAL PRINCIPLES

    Frank DeWitt              |  mailto:frank at lbpinc.com
    Mechanical Design      |  Phone:  585 624 3052
    LBP  INC.                   |  Fax     585 624 1038
    2365 Cox Rd.              |     N 42.9130  W
77.5164|
    Bloomfield NY 14469   |Web   http://www.lbpinc.com