[AJD] Model L steering box

Michael Dixon mpmbd at yadtel.net
Tue Jan 16 16:17:10 PST 2007

This has been a very interesting thread. I have no doubt at all that the
resourcefulness already demonstrated will result in a good solution to this
problem. My knowledge of this steering box is like that of Mr. Weeks below.
Sometimes ideas from the fringe stimulate thinking. First, the Chevy cars of
the 1930's and 1940's used this style bearing for the front wheels, but they
were much larger bearings. In an imported car I had, the distributor used a
plastic retainer to hold steel balls for the thrust bearing for the advance
plate within the distributor. It was hard plastic, more like phenolic. When
the retainer broke, the plate jammed and the advance mechanism no longer
worked. I sanded a piece of Teflon to the same thickness of the diameter of
the bearing balls and then jigsawed the Teflon to the required shape for the
appication. It worked well. Teflon has greater heat resistance, but for
cooler applications, Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene has great
mechanical strength and is lower cost. UMHWPE also has low coefficient of
friction, slightly greater than Teflon. One thought is to get new bearing
balls of the correct diameter and machine a retainer of UMHWPE to hold the
spacing of the balls. Injection molding of such a retainer would be
wonderful and result in low cost per part. But the tooling would be
prohibitive. I know this problem will be solved.