[AJD] Model L steering box

Howard Weeks weeksh at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 16 15:20:19 PST 2007

Folks,

I have never looked at one of these boxes or bearings, but -

Just want to mention that I have had some luck in other situations
where I couldn't get the original bearing by A. Finding a suitable
bearing that would fit the ID but small on the OD and having a
machinist make an adapter to fit between the OD of the bearing and
the ID of the housing. B.  Recut both the bearing ID and OD to fit an
available bearing with or without adapters.  More costly but gets a
good bearing in the housing.  A good solution could probably be sold
to the hobby as well.

On 16 Jan 2007 at 0:27, Duane Larson wrote:

> John,
> Is there any info about who made the bearing?  I've never been into my unsL
> steering box - I assume the inner edge of the balls roll on a steering shaft
> inner race and the outer edge of the balls roll on an outer race?  Is it a
> 1, 2, or 3 piece bearing?  I've done a lot of old bearing hunting and may
> have some resources if someone has a clue who made the original bearing.
> The design looks like a governor bearing?
> With the work you all have put into it, I'm sure its not easy!
> Regards,
> Duane

Howard Weeks
Harlem, GA