[AT] Re: AT Digest, Vol 35, Issue 12

D8RMAN at aol.com D8RMAN at aol.com
Sun Jan 14 10:23:25 PST 2007

I am not an expert but I was once told that all model T's came with wooden
spoke wheels and the similar looking and later model A came with the wire spoke
 wheels. Willard Smith, Tacoma, WA

Jim  wrote:

>  http://hotimg2.fotki.com/b/142_165/28_171/FordinFortQ.jpg

>  Ralph,
>
> I assume that both cars in the picture are  T's.
>
> One appears to have wire wheels; did these come as  standard? (LHS one
> has what I would call normal T wheels)
>
> Or were they "Optional"? 8^)

Good eye for details Jim. I  hadn't even noticed the difference in
wheels. I don't know for sure but  the information I have is that wire
wheels became optional on Model T  starting in 1926. I had the idea that
this photo was ten years older than  that. Any Ford Model T experts out
there care to comment?.
Heres a link  to another picture showing my Dad's Uncle Jack with his  T'
http://hotimg2.fotki.com/b/142_165/28_32/JackModelT.jpg
I don't know  the year of this one either but it has the wooden spoke
wheels. I have the  remains of my grandfather's Model T chassis. Wooden
spokes on this one  too.

Ralph in  Sask.