[Farmall] Gas Draining from H tank with sediment bowl shut off...

James Moran jrmoraninc at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 12 14:22:24 PST 2007

AG-
  The "entire assembly", as you term it, is an inexpensive  component....therefore I am assuming that the gentleman bought and  installed the whole shooting match.  Of course, I could be wrong.
  I am led to understand that the tank is/was pretty much dry, based upon  his description.  If it is not, you are correct that, once the  assembly is unscrewed, anything remaining will flood out.  If  there is not all that much, it can be "contained" in an old  towel.  If it is substantially more, it can be conducted away and  retained by using a funnel and a catch can or oil drain pan.
  Short of gasoline theft, I am betting that the seating was not 100% on  the mark or that (as you indicate) the needle is defective.
  Just guessing (from a distance).
  JM

Andy glines <pioneersop96 at yahoo.com> wrote:  Forgive the silly question.  Did you install in entire
new bowl assembly or only the glass part?  The glass
part will not fix this problem.  The valve is a needle
type valve.  Maybe it is not quite tight enough.  It
is likely that there is some junk on the valve seat.
Unscrew the valve stem and packinf nut and remove
them.  WARNING! if there is gas in the tank it wall
all come out at this time!  Make sure that there is
noting in the hole ie bits of rust.  Blow it out with
compressed air.  Examine the needle to make sure that
it is smooth.  If it has damage you may be able to
sand it smooth again be be sure to preserve the
tapered shape.  If this doesn't fix the leak you may
need to replce the entire assembly.
--- Slab210 at aol.com wrote:

>     I have a 1940 H that has drained all gas from
> the tank while in storage.
> The sediment was
> shut off both times that this happened.  The first
> time I installed a new
> sediment bowl and thought              I had fixed
> the problem. Now I'm not sure
> why it keeps draining. Has anybody had the same
> problem and know how to fix.
>

> Thanks from Ohio
>
> Roger

Andy Glines