[AT] O/T weather out west

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Fri Jan 12 07:17:05 PST 2007

Rog we had a similar storm here in coastal NC when I was a kid (50's).  Not
quite as severe as yours but close.  Best I remember the ice was about 3
inches thick on the pavement but we didn't have much wind.  Back then they
didn't have cooperative agreements between power companies and each had to
put up their own lines.  We were lucky ours was only out for about 2 weeks.
Some friends about 20 miles up the road didn't have power for over a month.
Of course we weren't so dependent on power then as everyone is now.
That old kerosene heater in the living room just kept on burning and after a
little coaxing the hand pump started pumping.

I can remember lacing the tires of my bicycle with bailing wire to get
traction.  Believe it or not it worked .... sorta.

Charlie