[AT] Farmall Super A data plate....

Al Jones aljones at ncfreedom.net
Thu Jan 11 14:37:43 PST 2007

My Super A, purchased new by my Granddaddy in 1948, was repainted in the
60's. They didn't mask over the plate and it was red too. I can remember
as a kid, taking a SCREWDRIVER and scraping the old paint off one
afternoon at the hogs when there was nothing to do.  The plate, believe
it or not, was not damaged, the paint "flaked" right off.  It is true
that God looks out for fools and children!  Anyway, be real careful with
carb. Cleaner, etc as it might eat the black background off the plate.
I believe I would go with fine sandpaper first.  THe numbers are
engraved so taking off a little bit of paint should "expose" them.

>From what you describe with the bolt "clamping" the pitman arm, I
believe you have the old, old style.  IH used a square shaft on the A
and Super A, I forget when they changed, probably when they went to the
car-type tierods.  Anyway they changed to a tapered shaft that held the
arm on with a large nut.  They also offered an arm with the "old style"
tie rod ends, but the tapered shaft. Even with a parts book it gets
confusing!  What caseIH sells now is a little bit different (larger
diameter shaft where the sector gear goes, bigger keyway) but is also
tapered.

I strongly recommend you find a good machine shop, as long as they will
do it "right" and not do a hack job on it.  If you bought all new stuff
from caseIH, you could spend close to $1000 and STILL not have the
pitman arm!

Al