[AT] Farmall Super A data plate....

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Thu Jan 11 10:25:42 PST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: at-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com
[mailto:at-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com]On Behalf Of Mike Sloane
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 9:04 AM
To: Antique tractor email discussion group
Subject: Re: [AT] Farmall Super A data plate....
In practical terms, it probably doesn't really matter what year the
tractor was built - virtually nothing significant was changed on the
Super A during its production. But it is something folks always like to
know. There will be a date code somewhere on the engine block that will
tell when the engine was cast, which is generally about 3-6 months
before the tractor was built - IH usually liked to "age" the cast iron
parts before assembly. The date code will be something like 12-31-A (A
being the first year they were used, 1931, running to Z in 1954 and then
starting over again in 1955 until 1958.)

Mike

Mike,
I am sure you know the SA better than me but up until about six months or so
ago I did have two of them.  My older SA had the tie rods with the ball
joint being integral to the rod while the newer SA had separate ball joints.
Because of this difference the Pitman arm (or what the parts book calls the
steering gear arm) is different between the two configurations.  Other than
this through I agree that everything else in the front end of the SA with
the round front axle seems to be the same.
FWIW the last integral ball joints were on SN 318309 and the first separate
ball joints were on SN 318310.  This change occurred mid to late 1951.
Casting codes of U and maybe W? (V was not used) were used in 51.

Dudley