[Ford-ferguson] a few questions

Sebranek, Joseph G [AN S] sebranek at iastate.edu
Sun Jan 7 09:37:34 PST 2007

Using the three point drawbar to "lift and pull" is a very dangerous
recommendation.  It is when the 3 point-mounted drawbar is used to lift
the hitch point above the tractor rear axle that pulling a heavy weight
with the drawbar in that position can then flip the tractor over
backwards.  The hitch MUST be made to the drawbar mounted on the
underside of the tractor, or the three point drawbar lowered below the
axle.  Then, with the force below the tractor axle the tractor wheels
will spin out rather than flip the tractor over. I never use the three
point drawbar for pulling anything significant because it's easy to
accidently raise the three point when pulling and that's when things can
happen.  Yes, a pulled log can get hung up on roots, etc. which is
something to watch out for but at least this will not flip the tractor
if the hitch is low.  In either case, skidding logs is very dangerous
for lots of reasons and is best left to those with the right
equipment(skidders) and the experience.

Joe