Unicorn splitter (was Re: [Farmall] Some items from the 1/6 Lancaster Farming

James Moran jrmoraninc at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 7 11:17:11 PST 2007

MS-
  First, if it is not effective for logs in excess of 2' (your comment) then it would not serve my needs too well.
  Second...if I recall, you mentioned that you do not use a fireplace nor  woodstove in your home.  So, where does the wood you split go?
JM
Mike Sloane <mikesloane at verizon.net> wrote:  Yes, the Unicorn hooks up to the PTO of virtually any standard 540 PTO
tractor (obviously, not any of the Cub types) and a three point hitch.
As you can see in the image
, I
also use stabilizer bars to keep the arrangement somewhat rigid, as you
don't want it bouncing around. When I use mine, I leave the engine speed
just a little above slow idle, as you don't need to have the splitter
running fast. You grab the log by both ends and press it on to the
spinning screw in the middle. The screw will drive itself into the log,
splitting it as it does. The log is kept from spinning by the rigid arm
on the lower right. It does the job fairly quickly with little fuss. The
two limitations I have found are 1. it doesn't do well on twisted
fibrous wood like Lombardy poplar or green elm, and 2. it doesn't do
well on very large pieces (more than about 2'. I have had it jam when I
got the screw into a big knot, and when it does, the engine just stalls
(which is why I keep the speed set low). Then I de-clutch the PTO and
back the screw out using a bar in the U joint - not difficult or lengthy.

While it looks dangerous, the Unicorn really is quite safe, as long as
the obvious safety measures are taken: firm footing on a dry surface, no
loose clothing or long hair, no alcohol, no kids, and take a break every
hour or so to relieve fatigue. I generally do a load of splits that fill
my 1-ton cart and then take the wood to where it is being stacked. That
relieves the boredom and gives my back a break (since all the work is
done only a couple of feet from the ground). One minor problem with the
Ford 860 in the image is that the exhaust is routed under the chassis
and out behind the rear axle. To avoid breathing fumes, I hang some
pieces of old metal downspout over the pipe to route it back forward.
When I use the Farmall 340, I don't have that problem. The only part
that is likely to be damaged on the Unicorn is a roll pin that secures
the hardened steel tip to the rest of the aluminum screw. It is just a
standard hardware store  roll pin and is easily driven out and replaced.
(The only time I had to replace mine in the dozen years I have had the
splitter was the first [and last] time a neighbor borrowed the splitter.)

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

Website:
Images:

Half of the harm that is done in this world is due to people who
want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm but the harm
does not interest them. -T.S. Eliot, poet (1888-1965)