[AT] Cockshutt 30 at auction

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Mon Jan 1 20:34:58 PST 2007

A question for Ralph or anyone; In the auction with the Cockshutt 30, they
have listed a tapered swath roller. Exactly what does this do. My guess
would be to pack down a swath of grain or whatever so the wind doesn't blow
it around. On the other hand in our area that would be the last thing one
would do as we have all kinds of equipment to fluff up the windrows for
faster drying. Related; in our area for the last few years, the last two in
particular, people are buying big rollers up to 40 feet wide and 3 or 4
feet in dia. to roll soybeans and in particular edible beans after they
have been planted. It has nothing to do with packing the ground or breaking
lumps; but is to push the stones into the ground. Stones are a very big
problem here and soys and edible beans for sure require cutting very close
to the ground. Until recently most people "pulled" the edible beans and put
them into windrows to be combined. In the last 2 or 3 years, almost half
the people have switched to cutting the beans direct, thus the need to push
the stones down. Most of the rollers seem to be made in Canada and cost up
to $25,000.
Greg Hass
Michigan