[Farmall] Any advice on THIS problem (Off Topic...sorry)

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Jan 1 13:46:00 PST 2007

Well, Jim, it isn't entirely off topic. Farming and doing work with
tractors is among the most dangerous occupations in the US, even more
dangerous than police, high iron workers, or general construction. I
just read in the paper this morning that a local young man died of
injuries following a flipped over tractor, the result of trying to clear
stumps out of a field (no more information given, other than it was a
"1979 Massey Ferguson"), and earlier this summer a local woman was
killed when the big JD she was driving hit a ditch, threw her off and
ran over her. You cannot be too careful around machinery of any kind.

When my kids were younger, I would not let them even be around when I
was cutting grass. I would stop the tractor and explain to them and
their friends that it was just too dangerous. And I routinely shut off
the engine when getting off any tractor that has PTO driven implements
hooked up - I just don't trust them to stay un-clutched. And my
neighbors laugh at me for wearing steel toe work boots all year long.
But I haven't lost any fingers or toes yet.

I don't have any suggestions that you probably haven't already
considered, but if it were me, I would explain my concerns to the father
and tell him that you simply will not operate the machinery when the
young man is around. If you have to, you can say that your attorney
and/or your insurance agent told you (and they likely would if you asked
them!).

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

Half of the harm that is done in this world is due to people who
want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm but the harm
does not interest them. -T.S. Eliot, poet (1888-1965)