[Farmall] Any advice on THIS problem (Off Topic...sorry)

James Moran jrmoraninc at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 1 15:21:49 PST 2007

JH-
 The parents are very concerned and have sought out all kinds of  high-level professional help for their child.  As an example, he  was admitted to the "R-Wing" of Rochester's Strong Memorial Hospital (U  of R) for almost two weeks of care and observation.  Please...this  is not a "bad" kid, merely a kid who suffers from an illness....just as  valid as cancer or heart disease.
  This individual is on some "witch's brew" of medication....good or not so, I cannot comment.
  Thank you for your support in terms of being "on/off topic" and why my  having brought this to light has, at least, some validity.  I was  reluctant to do so, as you might have sensed.
  JM

John Hall <jthall at worldnet.att.net> wrote:  Definetly not a professional opinion but here is mine. I wonder how well
this kid has been examined by doctors to diagnose his real problems. I have
a cousin with 2 sons on a full time working farm. She told me both were
diagnosed with ADD or ADHD. These kids are now teenagers--the oldest helps
dad on the farm in the summer. In all sense they appear to be
normal--playing sports, riding 4 wheelers, and working with the grownups.
Don't know if either is still on medication but there is stuff out there
that can help.

On the other hand I have a nephew that is autistic. Even on his medication I
would never let him near farm/commercial equipment. It's just not safe for
him I don't care how many grownups are around.

One other thing to remember. If the kid refuses/can't listen to directions
and you are working with potentially dangerous stuff while having to keep an
eye on him, then you are putting yourself at an increased risk of getting
hurt.

To sum up I'd have the kid checked out well by doctors---and I don't mean
your run of the mill pediatrician. If that has already been done and they
can't help, I would have to tactfully figure a way to tell the kids father
no.

And by the way, I think this is very on topic. Especially since we are often
dealing with older equipment that doesn't have near the safety features the
modern stuff does.

John Hall