[Farmall] That Farmall Sound

bsdunek at charter.net bsdunek at charter.net
Mon Jan 1 07:36:24 PST 2007

Yes, we used an M and an H on the farm (still have them). The H runs at 1650, while the M runs at 1530, both max governed rpm. Not a big difference, but enough to have quite a different pitch.
If you get past the pitch, or run both the same speed, the sound is about the same, and definately Farmall.
I think it must be something in the design of the ports, valve timing, etc, that causes an engine to sound a certain why.  A company tends to stay with a successful design, so the sound stays similar over the years.  I remember, at Ford's Greenfield Village, back in the 50's there was an International car running around, and it sounded just like a farmall.
Allis Chalmers, Massy Harris, and others sound different, again each with a distinct sound.  Of course John Deere's are another story!
Bruce