[AT] Dairy farming. Dying industry?

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Feb 25 09:07:55 PST 2007

The only way the dairy farmers in our county can stay afloat is to sell
their development rights to the county/state and put the land into
farmland preservation. Then they can keep on farming until the money's
gone. A lot of them have started planting extra hay to sell and working
other crops to supplement the income from dairy operations. Right now,
the co-op is paying less for milk than it costs to produce it.

And they aren't buying any new machinery, just fixing up the old stuff
or picking up stuff at auctions when their neighbors quit farming. In
the last two years I worked as selling new tractors, I didn't sell a
single one to local farmers. I did sell a few balers, discbines, tedders
and spreaders, but not many. (And the only reason they bought from me
was that all the other tractor/equipment dealers in the area had closed
down.)

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

It's hard to argue against cynics - they always sound smarter
than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side.
-- Molly Ivins 1944-2007