[AT] And Now For Something Different - A Tractor Problem

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Feb 10 21:42:01 PST 2007

CEE VILL wrote:
> I have heard of adding isopropyl (dry gas) to transmission / rear end
> units to bring moisture into suspension in the oil to prevent freeze
> up.  Probably not a good plan for a hydraulic system. For this problem
> you might try adding Dexron.  Dexron is a premium hydraulic oil with a
> super all season additive package that would hopefully be compatible
> with your hydraulic system.  Once warmed up to emulsify the water, it
> might keep it mixed.
> On the other hand, Ralph Goff might have some really good cold weather
> advise.
Charlie, can't say that I have any ideas for this problem as it is one
that I have never had much trouble with. I do recall a hydraulic screen
plugging and collapsing from suction in the hydraulic system in the
Cockshutt 50 many years ago. That was just poor maintenance as we should
have changed oil more frequently to eliminate the condensation. With
such a small hydraulic reservoir it was not a big expense compared to
the newer tractors that take nearly a barrel of oil to change the hyd
and trans.
I did get caught with ice in the old (non running) DC4 Case last winter.
Noticed a leaking valve stem on it (chloride) so I thought I'd just jack
it up, rotate the wheel so the stem was at the top. Surprisingly I could
not turn the wheel over at all. Finally realized that there must have
been enough condensation in the bottom of the housing that the final
drives were frozen in place. (oil drain and change on the list for when
the weather warms up) :-)
Today was "warmer" at +2F but still too cold for that kind of work.
Sure glad we're not getting the 8 feet of snow that New York is getting.

Ralph in Sask.