[AT] Dairy farming. Dying industry?

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Sun Feb 25 22:58:25 PST 2007

California is now the leading fluid milk and cheese producing state. The
production level went up every year - until last year. The second or third
from the last dairy went out last week in our county, down from over 300 in
the 1930's and about 10 when I moved here in 1973. Even the mega dairies in
the San Joaquin Valley and Arizona (5,000 to 30,000 cows) have stopped
expanding and new ones being built.... The bottom line is that milk prices
have once again been below the cost of production for so long that it has
killed even our state's alfalfa prices for the first time in a long time.
    We have a broken system where we subsidize the importers of dairy
products because they have a better lobby in the administration and previous
Congress than the American farmer and then say that retail food prices are
too high.... As a full time vegetable farmer, I look at the Mexican, Central
American, South American, Chinese, even Israeli imports and the structure of
the incentives for the grocery companies to import rather than buy American
and shake my head. It is just illogical and contrary to our best interests.
        Grant Brians
        Hollister, California