[AT] Re: [Ford-ferguson] NAA + Sherman

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Feb 24 14:11:38 PST 2007

Dave Merchant wrote:
> Warning, possible tractor content!
>
> I bought an NAA with 3 speed Sherman last summer, runs good, been doing
> small improvements.
>
> One possible bigger issue is an apparent tranny leak.
> There is a small crack on the bottom of the bellhousing, with tranny
> lube leaking out slowly.
That might mean a bad front transmission seal, and the crack is just
letting the fluid out - the bell housing should be dry.

> Checked the tranny, and the level was pretty low, but I have no idea how
> long it had been
> since the P.O. had checked it.
>
> The question is, how is the Sherman lube connected to the tranny?
> Is it a separate unit with its own lube, or does lube get thru the end
> bearing from the main tranny?
The Sherman doesn't share any lubrication with the tractor, as far as I
know - it is pretty well sealed up. I cannot imagine any way to check or
fill it without splitting the tractor.

> If it's separate, how do you check + fill it?
>
> I+T is pretty useless as usual, it shows how to fix the Sherman,
> and some tiny muddy diagrams, but doesn't say how the lube works.
I believe that the 9N-2N-8N-NAA Newsletter has the reproduction Sherman
manuals for sale at reasonable prices.
<http://www.n-news.com/archives.html#Transmissions>

> I may eventually be asking about tricks for splitting the tractor, but
> maybe not yet.
It isn't all that big a deal to split - pretty much the same as any old
tractor of that era. A smooth floor, a rolling jack, and some way to
stabilize the front end and support it - 4x4, 6x6 and other cribbing -
is all you need.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

It's hard to argue against cynics - they always sound smarter
than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side.
-- Molly Ivins 1944-2007