[AT] For the steamer guys(now pto combine)

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Feb 22 22:47:57 PST 2007

John Hall wrote:
>Practically nobody here can
> afford a new combine much less some new-fangled gadget that my or may
> not work well. The advantage here would be double cropping but since
> almost everyone no-tills you'd just have to mow the stubble causing
> further compaction.

John, its amazing how the zero till guys manage the straw up here. Heavy
duty choppers on the combines take care of anything that goes through
the combine and they seem to cut pretty low just for that reason. Of
course that pushes your fuel costs up and cuts combine capacity some so
its a trade off. Also they have super heavy duty harrows that will just
tear up a field of stubble at ten mph or so. You need a big four wheel
drive tractor to do this but when they're done its hard to imagine where
all the straw went.. Then you need big acreages to justify the expense
of this big heavy machinery so theres not much hope for the small farmers.

Ralph in Sask.