[AT] eBay auctions for "rare" stuff

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Sat Feb 17 07:34:47 PST 2007

On cold and snowy mornings like this, sometimes I sit with a cup of coffee
and browse eBay auctions.  Why do so many people put the word "rare" in
their auction titles?  I'm sure it's to help sell the idea that whatever
they're selling is worth more money, so I guess my real question is whether
buyers would be influenced by it.

Right now there are listings for a JD 50-70 weight set ("rare"), Farmall Cub
PTO reverser ("rare"), a Massey Harris 30 ("Rare, Look!!!"), a Minneapolis
Moline generator ("Rare!!!!!!"), hydraulic couplers for Oliver 77 & 88
("rare"), Farmall M governor ("Very Rare!"), etc.  So are there people who
don't otherwise need one of those things, but who decide "Oh, okay, since
this thing is *rare*, I'll go ahead and bid on it" ?

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net