[AT] For the steamer guys

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Fri Feb 16 19:12:11 PST 2007

Mine has a John Deere engine---quite powerful to say the least. Glad to know
its not the same as the 4020's--I've been wondering that for some time.

Somebody has got to explain why windrow harvesting takes less horsepower or
is it that there is just that little crop matter in that type of farming. We
try to harvest grain at around 12-15%. Sometimes the straw is still tough
and that really slows you down. Used to bale a lot for straw so we cut low
but now I run the header up a bit and have added a chopper (Thanks
Bill!!!!).

Farmall M's and AC combines were the norm here 50 years ago. Dad talks about
cutting round after round while pulling on the throttle lever to get a pinch
more if the wheat was heavy. All the while the temp gauge was all but
pegged. He also told me some times it would be so hot that the guys sacking
would drape sacks on the railings because they would get so hot it would
burn you. They also kept a basket with a lid on it to put in all the rabbits
that they could catch. I believe they sold them a local hunt club to
"populate" their hunting grounds.

John