[AT] For the steamer guys(now JD 65)

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Feb 16 09:15:58 PST 2007

Gene Dotson wrote:
>    John;
>    You may be confusing the small model 55 combine with its bigger
> brothers, the models 95 and 105. The 105 used the 4010 engine and later
> models the 4020 engine.

>    The 65 pull type combine has the same workings as the 55 self
> propelled and would be much lighter and in the likely dry field
> conditions and windrow pickup, would require much less power. A 3020 at
> about 60 horsepower would be equivilent to the power of the self
> propelled machine.
>    My first combine was a John Deere model 42 pull type combine that I
> ran with a 51 horsepower Case 700 and it had more than adequate power,
> even in wet field conditions.

Sounds about right Gene. I couldn' recall what the 55 had for an engine
or horsepower, had some idea the early ones had Hercules engines.
Yes, I pulled the Case 460 with the Case 730 diesel too and this combine
had a 40 inch wide cylinder. Thats not to say it was any bigger capacity
than the JD 65, but horsepower was never the weak link in that
harvesting chain. Biggest problem was transmitting it through the dried
up old drive belts that would slip and plug the cylinder at the first
bit of heavy going. Belt dressing made a world of difference when I
finally discovered that.

Ralph in Sask.