[AT] And Now For Something Different - A Tractor Problem

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Sat Feb 10 18:47:45 PST 2007

rasmith4 at juno.com wrote:
> Like Ol' Rog, I'm not too sure which is the antique, me or the tractor.
> I'm using a Farmall 1086 on a large snowblower.  The problem is that this tractor has hydraulic steering and clutch.  When it is cold out there is no steering nor clutch.  Sometimes if it runs an hour or so it warms up enough for these functions to work.  Sometimes not.  Appears that the hydraulic system is frozen up.  But I have just replaced all the fluid and filter last fall and the tractor has not run an hour since then.
> Any suggestions?
> Richard
> In Central NY
> (Looking out the window at 3 feet of snow!)

Use a synthetic fluid in the system. I have switched over everything
here to synthetics. It made a HUGE difference when it gets cold. The
synthetic doesn't thicken up or spike the pressure way up like the old
dino juice did. I have also noticed that operating temperatures in the
transmission are lower with the synthetic.
It's more money but when you need a vehicle to start and go NOW
(firefighter/EMT)or you need to clear snow it is worth it.
--
Steve W.