[AT] And Now For Something Different - A Tractor Problem

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Feb 10 14:51:35 PST 2007

I had the same problem with my 706. One of the problems with the IH "06"
line of tractors is that it is hard to remove all the old fluid when you
change it. The IH manuals suggest that you open all the drains and run
the engine for a minute, working the various valves. That will pump more
of the fluid out of the pump, valves, and cylinders than just opening
the drains. Running the pumps dry for a minute or so won't damage them,
as there will still be plenty of oil on the various parts. I don't know
about the 1086, but the 706 had three different hydraulic pumps -
steering, lift, and PTO. Until I managed to change ALL the fluid, I
still had problems with freezing.

If you aren't in a position to change the fluid right now, I suggest you
pick up two or three magnetic block heaters and place them on the pump
and sump when the tractor is warm and leave them connected (it is very
hard for those magnetic heater to heat up a cold block of iron, but they
can usually keep up with something that has been warmed up).

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

It's hard to argue against cynics - they always sound smarter
than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side.
-- Molly Ivins 1944-2007