[Farmall] W-12 at Chandler, AZ auction

Bob Currie tractors at foothill.net
Sat Feb 10 14:27:28 PST 2007

I stopped by Warren Helm's place in Chandler, AZ this past Monday. He has a
very nice collection of mostly JD's, some IH stuff, couple Cases, a Silver
King (standard front) and a Centaur!
The big Minneapolis cross motor is very cool! I drooled abit over that one.
Appears very original and in good condition. It had the honor of sitting in
the cool shade of a shed out of the Arizona desert sun. I couldn't find a
serial tag. Most all of Warren's stuff is on steel. He obviously likes
that, and I found the great majority of his stuff to be restored or in good
condition. Most all of it has been stored inside his big, metal, building.
The O4 listed is very much full dress and was restored at some time. Very
good tin, and unknown mechanically. I couldn't get to it, to get the serial
number. The W-12 listed is actually an Orchard 12 like Karl mentioned. It
has an excellent tag on it and is OS-1686. Tractor mostly complete but
tired. Motor stuck, radiator beat up, L/R tire missing, I could not find
any cracks in the block as typically found on the left side of those
motors. The F-12 is FS-67696. Decent looking with a good tag. Looks like it
sat outside in the desert air for quite some time. I also found no cracks
in the block on the left side. It appears to have been converted with the
F-14 package(seat and steering risers, valve cover breather, etc) The sale
bill says it "runs", but they were talking about getting it started while I
was there, and it sounded as if they hadn't been successful yet. The F-20
is a narrow tread and has been repainted. I can't remember if it had a tag,
but I got the number off the frame rail. FA-75596HAN.. The HA is for high
altitude pistons I believe. It has the original manifold, and it looked
pretty good. the metal heat shield was over it,(rare in itself) and I
didn't see any cracks. It had the correct steel wheels also. I didn't see
the parts Regular, but did look at the other two, mainly because of their
rear steel wheels. The light gray one had no tag and the frame rail
was  deep pitted from rust, like you would see on tractors from east of the
Mississippi, so no number available. It was either a 28 or early 29.
Overall tractor appeared to be complete and in decent shape and it had been
stored inside recently. The rusty looking one turned out to be an early
1929, ser #T-43713. No tag, but visible on the frame rail. Turned over with
good compression, no starting tank, and it was the rear wheels that
interested me. Steel "overtires" with very worn spade lugs attached to what
I think are called "Texas wheels". Two steel rims with diaginal braces
attached crossways. So I'm not sure about all of that. The 10-20 Titan
ser#TV-8080 looked complete and appeared to be an older restoration.  I
didn't look at the other styled IH stuff, and only made note that the
McCormick Deering 10-20 did in fact have good Kay Brunner wheels on it. It
also looked to be an older restoration. Mr. Helm said he has had many many
phone calls, and one guy from Scotland is particularly interested in the
Minneapolis, Waterloo Boy, and 10-20 Titan. We don't get a lot of decent
tractor auctions out here west of the rockies, and I won't be able to be
there for the auction, but would like to talk with anybody who is planning
to go.

bobcurrie