[Farmall] Riggin up an auxiliary hydraulic port

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Fri Feb 9 22:16:04 PST 2007

We had a 340 until a few years ago. It had a set of couplers on each side
of the engine as well as one set to the back of the tractor. Came that way
from the factory. The front ones were mainly used for the front mount
cultivator, while the back one was for drawbar pulled implements. Two
levers to the right of the throttle controlled the outlets while a lever to
the right of the seat raised and lowered the 2 point fast hitch. One lever
controlled one of the side outlets while the other lever controlled the
other side outlet and the back outlet. I guess they assumed you would not
use a side and rear outlet at the same time. I take it that when you say
outlets you mean quick couplers; ours were pioneer type. I see no reason
why you can't just run 2 hoses from the nearest coupler to the log
splitter. Then just pull the lever back and split wood. As to how to hold
the lever back, we like to use tarp straps. There are usually a few laying
around and they are strong enough to hold the lever back. Not right some
may say; we are not the correct police, and we don't tell on other people.
When these tractors were new, the levers stayed by themselves, but after 35
or more years, the detents have worn out and it costs too much to fix them
when a dollar tarp strap will do. No, we are not running a log splitter but
are running machines that have hydraulic motors on them which must run all
the
time.

            You mention yours has pressure/suction when you move the lever.
Sounds right to me; when you move the lever pressure comes out one port to
one side of the cylinder and the oil from the other side has to have a way
back into the system(suction side). When you move the lever the other way
the reverse should happen. The only wild card with your tractor is that it
must be set for one way or for two way cylinders. For a log splitter you
want 2 way. Many tractors do not not need this adjustment, however I know
for sure that the 340's and 350 have it. I think maybe the 460 & 560 also
but am not sure. The adjustment is on the valves which are located just
ahead of the gearshift. If all the tinwork is still on the tractor, there
may be just a couple of holes an inch or so in dia. . A shaft sticks out a
little and has 2 flats  on it and a rollpin under a guide as a locator.
They only have to be turned about 45 degrees to change the setting. Yours
may or maynot be set correctly. Its been long enough that I don't remember
which way is which; however I do now if not set correctly they will not
work. I seem to remember, CRS again, that if all is clean, there may be a s
(single action) and a D (double action) near the locator pin although I'm
not sure. Other than that, the operators manual would tell.
Greg Hass
Michigan and cold